Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's good for a quick sauce...

Tonight I made a tried and true recipe for a very basic marinara sauce. I used cherry tomatoes, because Daniela (my host mom in Italy) told me cherry tomatoes make the best tomato sauce. I think it's because they're tart. I also fried some zucchini that was in the fridge. I sauteed them in olive oil over medium high heat with salt and pepper. While they were still hot I sprinkled them with parmesan cheese. Doing it while they're still hot is important because, as Jay put it, it's makes the cheese more "melty". I wish I had put a paper towel underneath them though, cause they're were quite "oily-ily" as well. I also wish I had used basil for the pasta instead of oregano. Oregano just reminds me of pizza sauce. Oh well, next time.




Basic Marinara Sauce
Olive oil, 3 Tbsp
Onion, 1/2 medium (or 1 small), finely chopped
Garlic, 5 cloves, minced
Cherry Tomatoes, halved, 2 of those Nature Made bags (I don't know how much that is, maybe 4 cups)
Oregano, dried, 1 Tbsp
Vegetable bouillon cube (found in the soup aisle)
1. Sautee onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes (cut side down) and cover. Turn the heat up to medium high.
3. When the tomatoes are a bit mushy, add the oregano and the bouillon cube. Mix them in and recover. Turn the heat down to low and simmer. The sauce is done when it is of saucy consistency (15 - 20 minutes).


If you fuck this up, you're le Gran Retard.

3 comments:

  1. First!

    This was very delicious-y. The pasta was pasta-y and the sauce was saucy-y.

    Seriousry though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jay. You're very Jay-y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOLOLOL. "If you fuck this up, you're le gran retard."

    ReplyDelete